Font Size

  • img


L. Brandon Steinmann

County Clerk

County Clerk
Brandon Steinmann

Recording Division
210 W. Davis, Conroe, TX 77301
MAIL: P.O. Box 959, Conroe, TX 77305 

Military Discharge Records (DD-214)
Texas Government Code Chapter 552.140

Military Discharge Records, also known as the DD-214 form, is a document given to a person who has completed their service in the Armed Forces of the United States. The Defense Department issues to each veteran a DD-214, identifying the veteran's condition of discharge - honorable, general, other than honorable, dishonorable or bad conduct. It contains information normally needed to verify military service for benefits, retirement, employment, and membership in veterans' organizations.

Not required but highly encouraged, a Veteran who files their DD-214 with the County Clerk creates a permanent record for future proof of service for veterans’ benefits and for safekeeping. Doing so allows the County Clerk’s Office to provide a certified copy of a DD-214 should a qualified applicant need a replacement copy in the future. 

Filing your DD-214
An original, complete DD-214 is required in order to be filed with the County Clerk and it will be returned once the filing is completed. If you do not have an original DD-214, a certified copy from the Military can be submitted to the County Clerk. The Military limits the number of copies allowed during the lifetime of the Veteran, but the County Clerk does not; therefor, it is beneficial to Veterans to submit their forms to the County Clerk.

If a certified copy is needed from the Military, one can be requested at or submitted by mail or fax using the SF-180 Form which is provided on the same website. For customer service, please contact the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, Missouri by calling 314-801-0800. With that newly acquired certified copy, you may file it with the County Clerk.

There is no fee to file a DD-214 with the County Clerk
. Texas Local Gov’t Code § 192.002.

Requesting a Certified Copy from the County Clerk
DD-214 records are confidential for 75 years following the date it is recorded. Only certain individuals are legally allowed to request a copy from the County Clerk. As described by Texas law, these are the individuals who are qualified:
  • The Veteran themselves who is the subject of the record,
  • Spouse, Child or Parent of the Veteran,
  • If there is no living spouse, child or parent, then the nearest living relative of the Veteran,
  • Legal guardian of the Veteran,
  • Person named by the Veteran, or a legal guardian, spouse, child, nearest living relative, or personal representative of the estate described in a power of attorney according to Texas Estates Code, Ch. 572,
  • Personal representative of the estate of the Veteran,
  • Another governmental body,
  • Authorized representative of a funeral home assisting in the burial of the Veteran.
To request a copy, complete this form and return it to the County Clerk's Office in Conroe at 210 W. Davis Street. A valid I.D. is required to process the request because it involves confidential information. If mailing the form, it must be notarized. There is no cost to request a DD-214 certified copy.
Request for Certified Copy of Military Discharge Records (DD-214)

Note: If submitting by mail:
  • Our Mailing Address: P.O. Box 959, Conroe, TX 77305.
  • Include a self-addressed and stamped envelope for us to return the copies to you.
  • There is no cost to request a DD-214 certified copy.
  • Include a photo copy of a valid I.D. that corresponds to the Requestor’s information.



View Photo Gallery